Friday 6 March 2009

Cabbage Tree Farm (Kaipara District Northland New Zealand) Recommended




Cabbage Tree Farm was recommended . Here's a word from Bridget in New Zealand

The Cabbage Tree Farm blog aims to describe some of the day to day happenings on our 10 acre piece of rural land in Northland, New Zealand. Our priority is to produce for ourselves as much fresh, natural food (i.e. not sprayed with pesticides) as we can. We moved from the city onto our ‘block’ (short for lifestyle block, the common NZ description of our land) in mid 2006.



We are working on the land: establishing an orchard, trying to maintain a good year round supply of vegetables and herbs in our garden, landscape our surroundings for privacy and wind protection, and raise a small number of stock. At present we have our own supply of fresh eggs, some meat from our chickens and 5 cows (for meat later).

We are striving towards being more self sufficient. We're interested in growing food, hunting/fishing and gathering. Future projects could include bee keeping, cheese making, making homemade wine, various crafts such as candle making (beeswax) and weaving flax (Phormium tenax) baskets.


I suppose the majority of my posts are recipes. Also I post details of progress (and failures!) in our veg garden and orchard, and details of other projects we're doing around the farm.


HELP SUPPORT FARM BLOGS FROM AROUND THE WORLD.
A big ask I know, but if you can, please help me support my time on 'Farm Blogs from Around the World' by buying, reading and blogging/reviewing my book:

A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream

It's about urban downshifting to rural England (and a bit more).

I don't take any advertising on this site but your support would help me show my wife that this blog project is more than me just pursuing my obsessive interest in all things farming/gardening/smallholding!

Please support your local independent bookshop, but (yikes!) dare I say it...

A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream (Amazon.com)
A Place in My Country: In Search of a Rural Dream (Amazon.co.uk)


A Place in the Auvergne
Ian Walthew




Farm Blogs
Ranch Blogs
Rural Blogs
Countryside Blogs
Smallholding Blogs
Urban Homesteading Blogs
Homesteading Blogs
Homestead Blogs
Allotment Blogs
Apiculture Blogs
Bee-keeping Blogs
Voluntary Simplicity Blogs
Eco Farm Blogs
Modern Homesteading Blogs


Auvergne
Auvergnate
Auvergnat
Auvergnats
France
Rural France
Blogs about France

No comments: